Creative Europe MEDIA Post 2020 Extension
Screendaily reports that leading film organisations in Europe, including Animation in Europe, CEPI, Eurocinema, Europa Distribution, Europa International, FERA, FIAD, FIAPF, IVF, SAA, and UNIC, are calling on Creative Europe to extend its MEDIA programme past 2020. The push comes in the form of a letter, lead by Eurocinema, FIAC, and UNIC, among others, reiterating concerns expressed in an open letter from February, which was signed by more than 160 filmmakers. The current Creative Europe MEDIA programme budget is 1.8 billion euros for 2014-2020, and has supported projects like Cues, festivals like Talinn Black Nights, and films like Call Me by Your Name.
Main arguments for continuing Creative Europe MEDIA include maintaining the quality and circulation of European Film and TV content, expanding on the European Cinemas Network, increased opportunities for networking and training, and addressing changes predicted from the digital shift with DG Connect's Digital Single Market. This sentiment echoes the February letter (presented at Berlinale).
"We filmmakers carry out a European project truly dedicated to creation, with cultural exception as a rule. We are convinced that the digital era is a great opportunity for creation and the circulation of films: diversity can thus be shown in each Member State, to all audiences. The digital era, with new technologies and practices, must be the occasion to provide strong visions and political ambitions!” - Screendaily
As the film industry continues to evolve, progammes like Creative Europe MEDIA are vital for working through the complexities of managing multiple territories. It is also essential for maintaining artistic integrity and quality which are representative of European projects.
Full organisation names provided below:
- Animation in Europe – Federation of Animation Producers’ Associations
- CEPI – The European Coordination of Independent Producers
- Eurocinema – Association des producteurs de Cinéma et de Télévision
- Europa Distribution – European Network of Independent Film Distributors
- Europa International – European Network for Sales Agents
- FERA – Federation of European Film Directors
- FIAD – International Federation of Film Distributors’ Associations
- FIAPF – International Federation of Film Producers’ Associations
- IVF – International Video Federation
- SAA – Society of Audiovisual Authors
- UNIC – International Union of Cinemas